The Big Topic - Team Orders

• Thank you for visiting ARHQ
    Check out the welcome board....
    We are currently making changes and adding features.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

captainsoutrageous

Mar 25, 2013
ARHQ Bucks
F1, for the past 10 years or so, has become swamped with team orders and the controversy surrounding them. But I'm pretty sure this wasn't around when I started watching Formula 1 (the '94 season), or am I having a rose-tinted nostalgia moment? The first occurrence I can remember was Ferrari's embarassing 1-2 at the Austrian Grand Prix (2003?) when Barrichello just let Schumi past at the chequered flag.

So, what are you feelings on team orders? I feel they are a by-product of the rising influence of money in sport: i.e., there is a lot on the line if you lose, hence team orders are used to maximise results. However, the purist in me is crying out: "Let them race!"

bazzie89

Mar 26, 2013
ARHQ Bucks
I think you are probably right, I don't really see how F1 can be a team sport and at the same time have two testosterone charged, highly competitive individuals agreeing to let the other one "win". How, for example, Lewis Hamilton can take any satisfaction from his podium finish knowing that it was handed to him on a plate I don"t know. As I myself am very competitive and in my youth played squash at a reasonable standard, if after a hard match I had been told my opponent had been told to let me win!! I think this is going to become more and more of an issue, not sure what the answer is, take turns??:(

fourmatic

Mar 29, 2013
ARHQ Bucks
How, for example, Lewis Hamilton can take any satisfaction from his podium finish knowing that it was handed to him on a plate I don"t know.

I don't know he seems pretty unhappy about the whole situation while he was up there. He even said that he thought Nico should have been the one up there. Granted drivers always want to win but when your team tells you to preserve the car (it's a very long season) and hold your position you do it regardless of how you feel about that choice personally.

riku517

Mar 31, 2013
ARHQ Bucks
I find it hard to just let a team member win when I know I should be the one winning. Then again, I've never been paid to let someone else win. I feel that F1 and many other sports are feeling the powers of greedy and it's taking away from the actual sport.

szjoe

Mar 21, 2013
ARHQ Bucks
I can understand why teams employ team orders but it makes the sport very boring. Let the guys race and we will see who is the true champion.

alexqueiros

Mar 27, 2013
ARHQ Bucks
I don't really like team orders, but since they've become legal, there's no need to hide them and there's nothing that the spectators can do to stop them.

zx14owtlaw

ARHQ Official
Staff member
Feb 28, 2013
Corpus Christi, TX
www.corpushost.com
ARHQ Bucks
10 2 5 1
I don't really like team orders, but since they've become legal, there's no need to hide them and there's nothing that the spectators can do to stop them.
There is something spectators can do to stop them, and that is not go to races. I know that it would be very unlikely for fans to boycott a series, but that would probably get it to stop.

vroomvroom

Apr 2, 2013
ARHQ Bucks
Nobody would throw a contest in any other type of sport. This is ridiculous, despite what money you're getting paid. The only equivalent I can think of is when a boxer throws a match and obviously that's pretty illegal. Why some people think it's okay just because it's racing is beyond me.

Reactions: zx14owtlaw

alexqueiros

Mar 27, 2013
ARHQ Bucks
There is something spectators can do to stop them, and that is not go to races. I know that it would be very unlikely for fans to boycott a series, but that would probably get it to stop.
Well yeah, but even so, there will always be team orders, even if they are more coded to make them more discrete.